It’s BBQ season in Texas, y’all. Unfortunately, a lot of those BBQ favorites can be irritants to those with Overactive Bladder. No need to fret – there’s still plenty of deliciousness to keep your taste buds and your bladder happy this summer.
There are no hard and fast rules that say your bladder will be irritated by specific foods. Everyone reacts a little different and Urology San Antonio’s Peggy Francis, APRN, FNP suggests, “Everyone has to be their own private investigator when it comes to food.” However, there are some foods that are common irritants. You can find a list of those foods here.
Let’s not focus on the negative. The weather is warm and you want to get outside to enjoy summer with family and friends. There are still plenty of tasty treats you can toss on the grill or eat raw that will be kind to your bladder and keep the fun going all summer.
Here are some options to think about for your next cookout:
- Meat such as chicken, turkey, beef, pork, and lamb are safe choices – just watch out for BBQ sauces or condiments. Tomato based sauces, spicy foods, and anything acidic tend to be big triggers for OAB.
- Seafood like shrimp, tuna, and salmon are healthy choices and pair perfectly with a hot grill.
- Don’t skip the veggies! Seasonal vegetables are a delicious side dish and sometimes shine brighter than the main course! Visit your local farmer’s market or grocery store for some options such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms, peas, radishes, squash, and zucchini.
- Summertime is the right time for fruit! You’ve waited months for some of your favorite fruits to be fresh and ripe, so go indulge. Grab some honeydew melon and watermelon and enjoy.
- Drink water! It’s hot out there and you need to stay hydrated. Limiting your water intake can not only cause dehydration, but may make your urine more concentrated, which will irritate your bladder. Keep that glass full!
Talk to your doctor about what’s best for you and have fun this summer!